Visits typically last between 3 and 5 days. There is a programme of activities including excursions and social events, but free time is always included for hosts and guests to spend time in each others' company.
Frequently groups of hosts organise unofficial social events in addition to the official ones, so a twinning visit can be a fairly active affair!
- On arrival - An informal welcome reception (usually with brief speeches) where visitors and hosts meet and receive detailed information about the programme for the visit. Generally some light refreshments are provided.
- Usually a sightseeing trip or two will have been arranged.
- On one evening there will be a meal, generally fairly informal and often with some entertainment.
- Free time with hosts is included so that hosts can get to know their visitors better, visit places not included in the programme or organise their own entertainment.
- Visitors can also spend time on their own if they wish.
- Hosts will be provided with the full programme in advance so that they can plan their activities during the visit.